Monday, March 15, 2010

Tulipae Horturum Exhibition

There is a fabulous tulip exhibition going on right now at Observatoriemuseet in Stockholm. At the center of the exhibition is the book Tulipae Horturum, by American fotographer Jonathan M. Singer and botanist Dr. W. John Kress. The book, that was donated in 2009 to the Royal Acadamy of Sciences, is dedicated in memory of Carl von Linné, and is for the first time being shown to the public.
The book is hand pressed with a traditional book binding technique, and the size is double elephant folio, it's huge. Above, Mr. Singer is holding a book sized page. Note his jacket. Don't you just love it?


The exhibition carries through the spring and summer, ending August 31st, 2010. I'm so excited that I'll be able to visit the exhibition this summer. I can't wait. For you who can't make it, I recommend a visit to Mr. Singers website Botanica Magnifica. Here you can read about Mr. Singer, and, I highly recommend you click through the collections for beautiful photographs. Also, at Abbeville Press, you can click through the book Botanica Magnifica, also highly recommended. Don't forget to make it full screen size before you start viewing. It's an experience.

Photo credits to Lisa's Torp for the top two pictures, and for sharing her visit on her blog. The three bottom pictures by Singer are by permission from Observatoriemuseet.

1 comment:

  1. whoa, you've made lots of posts since I checked in last. I love them all. The dripping sugar maples is so great. That is one part of New England I will miss. It is so quaint that they still make maple syrup the same way it has always been made. I love the shop in Concord, the birds, the tulips... you get to go to Sweden this summer? That's fantastic. I hope you have a wonderful time with your family.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a little note!

Annelie